Wednesday, January 28, 2009

change, change, change

After this term I am left with one thought that still plagues despite all we have learned and all we have discussed. How can we still have social problems when we know about them, when they are blatantly staring us in the face and when we learn the facts and can no longer deny them? If the pay scale for the same job is different for men and women and it's out there, the knowledge is factual, how can that still be happening? I suppose it's naive but seriously, when approaching someone with facts and asking what the explanation is for inequality how can it be excused away? Can someone say well men are better than women and that's why they get paid more? Whites are better than blacks? Or heterosexuals are better than homosexuals? Who actually believes that? I guess people do or our society wouldn't be like this. I know that we can begin with small changes but it just seems like it should be so easy to fix with big changes when the inequality is so clear. But I suppose if it was we wouldn't have a history of wars, movements, boycotts and revolutions. So I suppose we keep going with the ways we can change now until we see the big changes come from all the small ones.

1 comment:

  1. I too feel the wonder sometimes - how can this *be*?

    My answer has to do with an imbalance of power - and by teaching, I hope the change the balance somewhat. Awareness is power? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete