Yesterday was my first day at James Sales Elementary...it was a good and interesting day...
When I first pulled up to park my car I looked to my right and observed students playing at recess. I was thinking, 'Oh how cute, I remember recess,' when all of a sudden this little boy came streaming across the field carrying like ten jump ropes which was a little puzzling. It was puzzling until I noticed that chasing behind him was this little girl trying to get one of the jump ropes back as she screamed, almost crying, and chased. It was kind of sad, I wanted to go rip one of the jump ropes out of his little fists. I restrained. Instead I thought to myself, hmm is that flirting or is that societal messages telling the little boy to pick on a girl because she's helpless and less threatening than a boy? I am still not sure which one is less disturbing.
Anyway, after my 'sociological' playground observation analysis I proceeded to the office. Not much sociological happened thereafter because it was a little disorganized since the woman I had been contacting was in Washington D.C. for Obama's Inauguration. So after the secretary and I talked about our jealousy she tried to figure out where I was to go. Long story short I got to assist Alisha Shmitt, whose job is helping and coordinating intermediate student groups who need extra help and preparation. Her job is funded by title I she said, and before that she had been in the resource room. I did some tasks to help her out, like stapling, ripping tickets and grading some spelling tests. I also got to meet some other teachers and worked with students for about ten minutes. As Becky, who also volunteers at James Sales, had told me the other day the teachers are predominantly white, while the students are of diverse races. In Alisha's 5th grade math group of 5 students each was a different race. That was interesting because of the idea of what we see and associate and internalize with regards to position and possibility.
Next week I will be working in the resource room so hopefully I will be able to interact a little more with students. I really enjoyed getting to know Alisha and helping her because she was so excited and grateful for my help and all I could think was wow, you have so much to do and that you do for these kids stapling is the least I can do and helping is what I was there for! In fact, I talked to her and I think I am going to go once a week throughout the spring semester and just help her with little tasks so she can focus more on the stuff that she needs to give thought to, rather than stapling packets together while trying to do that. It was a great first day even though initially I was expecting more student interaction, but that's the best part about volunteering and being flexible and open to any area they need you. That way the interaction isn't limited and also sometimes other assignments and areas surprise you with great opportunities, information and people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah - sometimes being in a support role to the people who are more "in the thick of it" is the best help you can give - I'm glad that it does not frustrate you to be giving that kind of support. You are giving the 'expert' more time and energy - and from your report, she seems pretty happy about it.
ReplyDelete